Canada has arrested Huawei’s global chief financial officer in Vancouver, where she is facing extradition to the United States, Canada’s Department of Justice said on Wednesday, which is likely to heighten tensions between Washington and Beijing days after the world’s two largest economies agreed on a truce in their trade war.
Ms Meng Wanzhou, who is one of the vice-chairs on the Chinese technology company’s board and the daughter of company founder Ren Zhengfei, was arrested last Saturday, and a court hearing has been set for Friday, a Canadian Justice Department spokesman said.
Meng, 41 . . .
To continue reading, please subscribe.
We highly value independence. Yuan Talks is solely funded by subscriptions from thousands of intelligent readers like you.
What you'll get:
- Systematic, timely and data-driven reporting on China's economy and financial markets with details, data and perspectives you don't read elsewhere!
- Daily Brief newsletter delivered before market open every weekday wrapping up the most important China-related stories.
- Weekly Market Wrap-up on A shares, Chinese bonds, the Yuan and commodities!
- Interviews with China experts. We find you insights you should never miss!
- Conference calls and events. Nothing is better than talking to newsmakers, experts and reporters directly, right?
Already have an account? Sign In