China’s household debts continued to grow rapidly in 2018 as consumers kept on the borrowing binge, which brought the leverage ratio in the sector, or the ratio of consumer debts to gross domestic product (GDP), to more than 60 per cent, much higher than other emerging economies.
Outstanding household debts surged 18.2 per cent to 47.9 trillion yuan ($6.8 trillion), according to the annual Financial Stability Report (FSR) published by the People’s . . .
To continue reading, please subscribe. You will get
- An indispensable and reliable source of information on China's economy and financial markets
- Original and in-depth reporting
- Details, data and perspectives you don't read elsewhere
- THE WIRE - the ONLY real-time financial news platform focused on China, with 24/7 continuous live updates
- Daily Brief newsletters to get you prepared for every trading day
Don't Miss Christmas Offer! Full subscription less than $0.5 a day!
We highly value independence. We are solely funded by subscriptions from thousands of readers like you.
Already have an account? Sign In