China's infrastructure investment slowed sharply last year, but many expect it to pick up this year to help reverse the economic slowdown amid a bitter trade war with the United States.
However, industry insiders say it may not happen soon as China's local governments are facing shortage of funding after their ability to raise funds was weakened by Beijing’s clampdown on government hidden debt.
"In the past, money waited for projects, but now, projects are waiting for . . .
To continue reading, please subscribe. You will get
- An indispensable and reliable source of information on China's economy and financial markets
- Original and in-depth reporting
- Details, data and perspectives you don't read elsewhere
- THE WIRE - the ONLY real-time financial news platform focused on China, with 24/7 continuous live updates
- Daily Brief newsletters to get you prepared for every trading day
Don't Miss Christmas Offer! Full subscription less than $0.5 a day!
We highly value independence. We are solely funded by subscriptions from thousands of readers like you.
Already have an account? Sign In