Despite China's tightening restrictions over the real estate sector and cooling housing market last year, the country's largest commercial banks extended nearly half of their new loans to home buyers.
According to the Centaline Property Agency based on banks' earnings reports for 2018, China's eight largest banks extended 2.7 trillion yuan new loans last year, of which 47 per cent were home mortgage loans.
The six large state-owned banks - Industrial and Commercial Bank of China . . .
To continue reading, please subscribe. You will get
- An indispensable and reliable source of information on China's economy and financial markets
- Original and in-depth reporting
- Details, data and perspectives you don't read elsewhere
- THE WIRE - the ONLY real-time financial news platform focused on China, with 24/7 continuous live updates
- Daily Brief newsletters to get you prepared for every trading day
Don't Miss Christmas Offer! Full subscription less than $0.5 a day!
We highly value independence. We are solely funded by subscriptions from thousands of readers like you.
Already have an account? Sign In