The People's Bank of China (PBOC) launched on Friday a fresh crackdown on cryptocurrency trading in the financial hub of Shanghai, after Chinese President Xi Jinping's promotion of blockchain technology reignited speculation in virtual currencies.
The move came a day after financial regulators in the technology hub Shenzhen launched a similar campaign. The finance bureau of Shenzhen municipality has identified 39 undisclosed cryptocurrency exchanges for the initiative.
PBOC’s Shanghai branch said in . . .
To continue reading, please subscribe. You will get
- An indispensable and reliable source of information on China's economy and financial markets
- Original and in-depth reporting
- Details, data and perspectives you don't read elsewhere
- THE WIRE - a real-time financial news platform focused on China
- Daily Brief newsletter to get you prepared for every trading day
We highly value independence. We are solely funded by subscriptions from thousands of readers like you. Not ready for our full service? Try Free Weekly Newsletter first.
Already have an account? Sign In