Chinese central bank is ready to let its upcoming digital currency "decoupled" from traditional bank accounts to allow tourists to use mobile payment services in the increasingly cashless society, said a central bank official.
The comments came after China's two payments giants Alipay and WeChat Pay announced plans to open up their platforms to foreigners visiting the mainland.
“Actually it could be decoupled from the traditional bank accounts. Thus, those who don’t have . . .
To continue reading, please subscribe. You will get
- An indispensable and reliable source of information on China's economy and financial markets
- Original and in-depth reporting
- Details, data and perspectives you don't read elsewhere
- THE WIRE - the ONLY real-time financial news platform focused on China, with 24/7 continuous live updates
- Daily Brief newsletters to get you prepared for every trading day
Don't Miss Christmas Offer! Full subscription less than $0.5 a day!
We highly value independence. We are solely funded by subscriptions from thousands of readers like you.
Already have an account? Sign In